Double-brushed poly fabric is a versatile and popular textile that has gained considerable attention in the fashion industry. Known for its softness, durability, and wrinkle-resistant properties, this fabric has become a favorite among designers and consumers alike. But what exactly is double brushed poly fabric?
In this article, we will explore the origins of this material, delve into its unique characteristics, and uncover some of its most common uses.
Whether you are a fashion enthusiast or simply curious about textiles, join us as we unravel the secrets of double-brushed poly fabric and discover why it has become an essential choice in many wardrobes today.
What Is Double Brushed Poly Fabric
Double-brushed poly fabric is a type of knit fabric that has been brushed on both sides to create a soft and smooth texture. It is often used in leggings, dresses, and tops and is known for its stretch and comfort.
How Is DBP Made?
The process of making double-brushed poly fabric involves several steps to achieve its signature softness. Here is a brief overview of the manufacturing process:
- Weaving: Polyester fibers are woven together to form a base fabric.
- First brushing: The fabric is brushed on one side to remove loose fibers, creating a smooth surface.
- Second brushing: The fabric is flipped and brushed on the other side to achieve the same smooth texture.
- Finishing: After brushing, the fabric is treated with special finishes to enhance its properties, such as moisture-wicking or anti-static features.
Characteristics And Properties Of Double Brushed Poly Fabric
Double-brushed poly fabric offers a range of characteristics and properties that make it highly favored in the textile industry. Here are some key features:
The double brushing ensures an incredibly soft and plush texture, making it a delight to wear against the skin.
Stretch and recovery:
DBP has excellent stretch and recovery properties, allowing for comfortable movement and a flattering fit.
This fabric is known for its wrinkle-resistant nature, making it convenient for travel and everyday wear.
Some variations of DBP have moisture-wicking properties, keeping you dry and comfortable even during intense physical activities.
Despite its plush feel, the double-brushed poly fabric is breathable, allowing air circulation for added comfort.
What Is DBP Fabric Used For?
Due to its versatility and desirable characteristics, double-brushed poly fabric is often used in a multitude of applications.
Dbp is commonly used in the production of leggings, dresses, tops, and loungewear due to its comfort and stretch. It is also used to make scarves, headbands, and hair accessories, adding a touch of softness and style to any outfit.
Double-brushed poly fabric can make throw blankets, pillowcases, and curtains, adding a cozy and luxurious element to your home.
Double-brushed poly fabric is a versatile and luxurious fabric made from polyester fibers. Its double-brushing process creates a soft and smooth texture, while its desirable characteristics make it suitable for various applications in fashion and home decor.
Whether you’re looking for comfortable and stretchy clothing or cozy accessories, DBP is an excellent choice that combines style and comfort.
Benefits Of Double Brushed Poly Fabric
Double-brushed poly fabric offers a wide range of benefits, making it a popular choice for various applications in the textile industry. Here are some of the key advantages of using double-brushed poly fabric:
Soft and Comfortable:
Double-brushed poly fabric is exceptionally soft and cozy due to the brushing process, where both sides of the fabric are mechanically brushed. This creates a velvety texture that feels gentle against the skin, making it ideal for comfortable clothing like loungewear, dresses, and pajamas.
The fabric has a fluid drape, which means it hangs well and conforms to the body’s shape, enhancing the overall appearance of the garment. It provides a flattering silhouette and moves gracefully with body movements.
The brushing process adds to the fabric’s softness and contributes to its wrinkle-resistant properties. This makes it a convenient choice for travel and everyday wear, as it tends to hold its shape and requires minimal ironing.
Stretch and Recovery:
Double-brushed poly often contains spandex or elastane, giving it excellent stretch and recovery. The fabric can stretch comfortably in multiple directions, making it ideal for activewear and form-fitting garments.
Despite its soft and cozy feel, the double-brushed poly fabric is typically lightweight and breathable. It allows air circulation, preventing overheating and ensuring comfort during various activities.
Many varieties of double-brushed poly fabric are designed with moisture-wicking properties. This means it can pull moisture away from the skin, keeping the wearer dry and comfortable during workouts or in hot weather.
The fabric is easy to care for, machine washable, and dries relatively quickly. Its wrinkle-resistant nature often eliminates the need for ironing, saving time and effort on laundry.
Double-brushed poly fabric is available in various colors, prints, and patterns, making it versatile for different garment types and styles.
Due to its tightly woven structure and high-quality fibers, the double-brushed poly fabric is durable and can withstand regular wear and tear, ensuring that clothing from this material lasts for an extended period.
Easy to Sew:
It is a beginner-friendly fabric for sewing, as it is stable and does not fray easily. This makes it suitable for DIY sewing projects and those new to sewing. (We have another article about how to sew slippery fabric. You can read it by clicking here.
Overall, double brushed poly fabric is favored for its softness, comfort, stretch, and versatility, making it a popular choice for casual, activewear, and various home textiles.
What Does Double Brushed Poly Fabric Feel Like?
Double brushed poly fabric is a sumptuously soft and cozy material created through a special brushing process on both sides. Its velvety texture feels luxurious to the touch, making it a favored choice for comfortable apparel like leggings, dresses, and loungewear.
The fabric’s smoothness and good drape allow for graceful movement when worn as garments. Although slightly stretchy, it retains a lightweight feel. Its affordability, easy care, and versatility make it popular for crafting projects and home decor items like blankets, pillow covers, and curtains.
Whether for fashion or comfort, double-brushed poly offers a delightful tactile experience and adds a touch of luxury to various creations.
Is Double Brushed Poly Breathable?
Double-brushed poly is generally not considered highly breathable compared to other fabrics. It is a synthetic fabric made from polyester, which means it does not have the same breathability as natural fibers like cotton or linen.
The “double brushed” aspect refers to a finishing process where both sides of the fabric are brushed to create a soft and fuzzy texture.
While double-brushed poly can be comfortable and cozy, it may not be the best choice for very hot or humid conditions where breathability is essential. The fabric can retain heat and moisture, which might lead to feeling overly warm and sweaty in certain situations.
If breathability is a primary concern, opting for natural fibers like cotton, linen, or bamboo or choosing performance fabrics designed to wick away moisture and enhance breathability is generally better.
However, double-brushed poly can still provide comfort and softness for cooler temperatures or indoor wear.
Double Brushed Poly Fabric: Comparisons With Other Fabrics
When choosing the right fabric for your next sewing project, it’s important to consider different materials’ unique qualities and characteristics. One such fabric that has gained popularity in recent years is double-brushed poly fabric.
This section will explore the comparisons between double-brushed poly fabric and three other commonly-used fabrics: cotton, polyester, and knit fabric.
Double Brushed Poly Vs. Cotton
- Breathability: Unlike cotton, which is renowned for its breathability, double-brushed poly fabric is less breathable due to its synthetic composition.
- Comfort: While cotton offers a soft and natural feel against the skin, double brushed poly fabric provides a cozy and warm sensation, making it ideal for colder-weather garments.
- Stretch: Double-brushed poly fabric has a four-way stretch, making it more flexible and forgiving compared to cotton, which typically has less stretch.
Double Brushed Poly Vs. Polyester
- Texture: Both double brushed poly and polyester fabrics have a smooth texture, making them comfortable to wear.
- Moisture-wicking: Polyester is known for its moisture-wicking properties, whereas double brushed poly fabric tends to absorb moisture, potentially leading to a less breathable feel.
- Drape: Double brushed poly fabric has a beautiful drape, resulting in an elegant and flowing appearance, while polyester has a more rigid drape.
Double Brushed Poly Vs. Knit Fabric
- Thickness: Knit fabric is generally thicker compared to double brushed poly fabric, making it suitable for warmer garments.
- Softness: Double brushed poly fabric offers a superior softness that rivals knit fabric, providing a luxurious feel against the skin.
- Versatility: While knit fabric excels in stretch and recovery, double brushed poly fabric offers both a cozy feel and excellent stretch, making it highly versatile for various projects.
Double brushed poly fabric stands out for its softness, flexibility, and beautiful drape, making it a popular choice for garments that require both comfort and style.
However, when deciding on the perfect fabric, it’s important to consider your specific project requirements, such as breathability and moisture-wicking.
With its unique characteristics and versatility, double brushed poly fabric is definitely worth exploring for your next sewing adventure.
Caring Tips For Double Brushed Poly Fabric
Double Brushed Poly fabric is known for its softness, stretch, and comfort. To keep it looking its best and prolong its lifespan, follow these caring tips:
- Washing Instructions: Machine wash your Double Brushed Poly fabric gently or delicately with cold water. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the fabric and cause it to lose its softness.
- Use Mild Detergent: Opt for a mild, gentle detergent on fabrics. Harsh detergents can cause pilling or break down the fibers over time.
- Avoid Bleach: Never use bleach on Double Brushed Poly fabric, as it can weaken the fibers and cause discoloration.
- Wash Separately: Wash Double Brushed Poly fabric separately from other garments, especially on the first few washes to prevent color bleeding.
- Turn Inside Out: Turning the fabric inside out before washing helps to protect the outer surface and maintain its appearance.
- Skip Fabric Softeners: Double Brushed Poly fabric is already soft, so there’s no need to use fabric softeners. They can leave residue on the fabric and reduce its wicking properties.
- Drying: Hang dry or lay flat to dry the fabric. Avoid using high heat in the dryer, as it can cause shrinkage and damage the fabric’s elasticity.
- Ironing: Double Brushed Poly is generally wrinkle-resistant, but if you need to iron it, use a low heat setting and iron it on the reverse side or with a pressing cloth to protect the fabric.
- Proper Storage: Store your Double Brushed Poly fabric in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid hanging it for an extended period to prevent stretching.
By following these caring tips, you can maintain the softness and quality of your Double Brushed Poly fabric, ensuring it continues to look and feel great for a long time.
Where To Buy Double Brushed Poly Fabric?
Here are some general places where you might find Double Brushed Poly fabric:
- Online Fabric Stores: Websites like Fabric.com, Mood Fabrics, Joann.com, and Etsy often carry many fabrics, including Double Brushed Poly.
- Local Fabric Shops: Visit fabric stores in your area, as they may have Double Brushed Poly fabric in stock.
- Specialty Sewing Stores: Stores that cater to sewing and crafting enthusiasts may also carry a selection of specialty fabrics like Double Brushed Poly.
- Wholesale Fabric Suppliers: If you need larger quantities, consider checking wholesale fabric suppliers or manufacturers.
- Fabric Facebook Groups or Forums: Sometimes, sewing and fabric-related Facebook groups or forums can be a good place to find fabric recommendations and sellers.
- Instagram and Etsy Shops: Many small fabric shops and sellers advertise their products on social media platforms like Instagram or Etsy.
When searching for Double Brushed Poly fabric, make sure to use specific keywords like “Double Brushed Poly,” “DBP fabric,” or “polyester spandex fabric” to narrow down your search. Always read product descriptions, check customer reviews, and inquire about the fabric’s properties and quality before purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions For What Is Double Brushed Poly Fabric?
Can I Machine Wash Double Brushed Poly Fabric?
Yes, you can machine wash double-brushed poly fabric. Using a cold or warm water setting and a gentle cycle is recommended. Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach, as this can damage the fabric. Hang or lay flat to dry to maintain its shape and softness.
Is Double Brushed Poly Fabric Prone To Pilling?
Double brushed poly fabric is resistant to pilling. The brushing removes any loose fibers that could cause pilling, resulting in a smooth and durable fabric. However, it is always recommended to follow proper care instructions to ensure the fabric’s longevity.
Does Double Brushed Poly Fabric Shrink?
Double-brushed poly fabric has minimal shrinkage. However, to prevent any possible shrinkage, it is best to pre-wash the fabric before starting your sewing project. Follow the fabric care instructions and avoid using high heat when drying. This will help maintain the fabric’s original size and shape.
Double-brushed poly fabric is a versatile and popular textile that has gained immense popularity in the fashion industry. Its smoothness, softness, and breathability make it a must-have for clothing manufacturers and avid fashion enthusiasts.
This fabric is loved for its wrinkle-resistant properties, which make it a perfect choice for travel and everyday wear. Its ease of maintenance and durability ensure that it continues to look as good as new for a long time.
Double brushed poly fabric is available in a wide range of vibrant colors and patterns, making it an excellent choice for creating stylish and eye-catching garments.
Whether you’re a fashion designer or just someone who appreciates comfortable and fashionable clothing, double brushed poly fabric is worth considering.
So why wait? Step up your fashion game and indulge in this fabulous fabric today.